"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another Tendonitis/Cheeseburger Challenge

Tendonitis of a tendon running from my shinbone to my foot has grounded my running for the last two weeks. Learning from past lessons I am getting professional help on this. I still may be able to run the TC marathon, but it’ll take some careful strategy. I was getting real concerned last week because there appeared to be no progress with healing even though I was being very careful about not overstressing the tendon. Just a normal day of short walks lead to a very sore leg by the end of the day. However yesterday was a breakthrough day; I noticed some dramatic improvement. Now comes the tricky part – when do I start running again? I have almost 5 weeks before marathon time. I’ll plan out a training program with a drop dead date for starting to give my tendon as much time as possible to heal. If it isn’t ready by then, I’ll probably have drop out of the race. Meanwhile, since I’m not running, I’m not burning tons of calories I normally do. But my insatiable appetite hasn’t changed, so the excess calories are turning into excess waistline. I just can’t give up those cheeseburgers.

On a different note, you can see my BWCA photos in a much larger size by going to http://picasaweb.google.com/LKStrandjord/BWCA2008 , which is my Picasa website.

No comments:

Post a Comment