"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

1000 Miles; 312 Cheeseburgers

Today I ran my 1000th mile for the year. That’s about 112,316 calories burned from running. That amount of calories is equivalent to about 32 pounds of fat, or roughly 312 cheeseburgers. Now I can tell you I didn’t eat 312 cheeseburgers this year, but I also didn’t loose any weight. It must have been those chocolate milkshakes that went with the cheeseburgers.

Early in my adult life I had a hard time going forward. Jumping from job to job or some crazy money making idea I kept trying to take shortcuts to success. When I was at my bottom, my dad gave me some advice that I carry forward today. I don’t remember his exact words, which were beautifully put and I cannot do it justice, but here is kind of what he said. If you really want to get somewhere in life, you need to stick with one plan, put your nose to the grindstone and keep it there. At first it may seem like you are going nowhere, but after some time you’ll look back and see you have come a long way.

Today I looked back to the beginning of this year, when I was just starting chemotherapy and wow, I have come a long ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment