"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Good to Go

It’s the day before the Twin City Marathon and I’m good to go. My taper down period the last two weeks have gone well, with no hint of an injury. I don’t have any specific plans for the race on Sunday. Due to tendonitis at the worst possible time, my training this time lacked continuity so I don’t know how I’ll perform tomorrow. Another variable that has added some unpredictability is the weather. The temperatures will be in the low 50’s during the race, which is perfect for running. Temperature can have a huge impact on performance and all my marathons so far have been on the warm side to killer heat. Most of my training this summer has also been in the heat. Do I set a pace to break 4 hours, or do I play it conservative so that I don’t risk a poor and painful finish?

Two Sunday’s ago was probably my most physically challenging day ever. I ran 20 miles in the morning, and then spent 5 hours cloths shopping with my wife at the Mall of America. Can you imagine what it is like standing on your feet for 5 hours straight while trying to help a woman decide on what shoes to buy, after running 20 miles! I am now definitely ready for any abuse that the TC marathon can throw at me.

My performance on last Sunday’s 20 mile run was pretty ugly. After about 15 miles there was three different times that I pulled out my cell phone and was about to call my wife to pick me up. My legs and hips started to hurt more than usual and the run became just pure drudgery. I didn’t prepare very well, I started late and it got warmer than usual, and I started focusing on the finish. I think I’ve push my body to its limit this year by training for two marathons. Oh yeah, there’s also that chemotherapy thing earlier this year. To complete the 20 miles required a change in head strategy. I shifted my focus away from the finish to some landmark along the trail that was close enough in distance that seemed both physically and mentally doable, then made a deal with myself that when I arrived at the landmark if I absolutely couldn’t go on I would end the run. The cell phone never came out again and I finished. I’m glad I pushed myself to complete the entire 20 miles. It was a bit of a gamble with possible injury, but as a result I am better prepared for the TC marathon.

For Grandma’s marathon I monitored my heart rate and adjusted my speed to keep my heart rate at an optimum. I’ll probably do the same this time, but not as closely. I plan to be much more involved with the crowd this time. Both Grandma’s and the TC marathons have wonderful spectators that cheer runners on, but the TC marathon has more of them and some of them get really crazy with costumes and music and dancing and giving runners high fives with gorilla hands or monster hands or spraying runners with water. There are rock ‘n’ roll bands, um-pa-pa bands, choirs and soloists playing all types of instruments and music. It’s like running through a big party that is 26 miles long. My plan – enjoy the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment