"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Back to Running

Just this last Monday I finally started running again. I’ve started out with short 3.2 mile runs each morning. The early mornings in Minnesota are now really cold and dark. Yesterday it was 25 degrees when I ran. I have good gear for running in weather like this, so I don’t cold. It’s just a psychological battle to get out of bed early in the morning when it’s cold and dark. That’s the hardest part. After a cup of stiff coffee and donning my running gear it’s easy to get out the door and run.

My running plans have changed. I won’t be running marathons for awhile. Chemotherapy and two marathons in one year were pretty hard on my body and it needs some time to rejuvenate. So I’m going to keep the distances and races no longer than a half marathon. I’ll probably run mostly 5Ks (3.1 miles) and 10Ks (6.2 miles) races. There are 5 and 10K organized races happening all the time and they usually involve some type of fund raising for charity. For training I’m going to focus on building up my speed rather than distance. I also plan to make my training more balanced by doing other exercises like weight lifting, biking and maybe swimming. I’m even toying with the idea of doing a triathlon. A neighbor lady who was an avid runner got into triathlons and she said the more balanced training actually improved her running. Another reason for more balanced conditioning is it better prepares me for other activities I like to do, like snowboarding, backpacking, kayaking and canoeing. So that’s my plans, now it time to execute. Like getting up out of bed on a cold dark morning, the hardest part will be to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment