"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Sunday, July 11, 2010

So Far So Good

I’ve been back to running for about 3 weeks now and so far my challenge with Plantar Fasciitis is going well. I run every other day, usually 10k (6.2 miles) and yesterday I ran 8 miles. Last night I had some pain in my foot and I was worried that maybe I was pushing it too hard, but then this morning I had no problems, even just after rising from bed. Usually the pain is the worse just after getting out of bed. So I figure if I can run 8 miles and the next morning have no problems, I must be doing well.

I have been doing stretching exercises that’s recommended for Plantar Fasciitis, but what I have found that works the best for me is the ice bottle treatment. At least three times a day I roll my foot on a frozen water bottle. The hard circular shape of the frozen water bottle helps stretch my fascia while the ice provides anti-inflammatory treatment.

I’ve entered the lottery for the Twin City 10 mile race, which runs on October 3rd and want to do as much as possible to run that race injury free. By then I would like to be near marathon shape. I’ve got an itch to run a marathon in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chemo Man
    Glad to see you are still able to run. Anymore thoughts about the NY Marathon? I am in training but I have just discovered I have enlarged lymph nodes and having a PET scan to see what is going on. Am keeping my fingers crossed that the C..... is localized. Really do not want anymore chemo.....I have the NY Marathon to do. Glad that your wife is still running as well.
    Regards Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tasgirl,

    I know any marathon is out of reach for me this year. Even though I’m back to running, progress with my foot is very slow. It is not getting worse, but it is also difficult to tell if it is getting better. For now I’m shooting for running in Grandma’s marathon next June. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you too. Best Wishes, Lee

    ReplyDelete