"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Monday, January 25, 2010

Back to the Races

I have signed up for the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon, which runs on Sunday, May 2nd. I miss having a race on the horizon. It feels good to be back into a training routine. I’ve put together a training schedule in an Excel spreadsheet. Each week involves building more weekly miles and a longer long run. I plan to get up to a 16 to 18 mile long run before the half marathon. That’s more than what I need to do, but I want to get close to full marathon shape. I will probably sign up for the New York City marathon, which runs in early November. I may also sign up for the Twin City 10 mile, which runs the same day as the TC marathon. I found that I need to have some race, at least a 10 mile or half marathon in the plans to keep me motivated for running.

The last few weeks over the holidays I didn’t run much at all. It wasn’t just the holidays but the cold weather and crunch time at my work that made it difficult to get out and run. I’ve been training solid now for a couple of weeks and have notice rapid progress. Yesterday I was able to run 9 miles without feeling stiff the next day. However, there is a potential issue that I’m dealing with.

I’ve been having problems with my left foot ever since trail running while on a business trip to Phoenix. The trail I was running on is very rugged with lots of rocks. I think what happen is that I stepped on a rock with the ball of my foot, causing my foot to flex more than it should. Now when I get up in the morning it is painful to walk. Fortunately the pain goes away after I walk on it for 15 minutes or so. So far it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse with my running, but it is not getting any better either. Even when I practically took off a couple of weeks from running it didn’t get any better. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get my foot to heal without having to stop running. I may have to call in a pro.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chemo Man
    Let me know if you are doing the NY Marathon. My husband thinks I am doing it again but am not sure. Training for the Paris marathon is going okay at the moment.
    Good luck with your training.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to let you know Tasgirl.

    ReplyDelete