"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Marathon Training During Chemotherapy – Uncharted Territory

After Tasgirl’s latest comment/question (see comments for PET/CT Scan) I find it necessary to write this post. One of my motivations for this blog is to let other chemo patients know about the benefits of exercising and endurance training during chemotherapy. There are a lot of research studies that show exercise is one of the best things one can do during chemotherapy, unless they have cardiac disease or some other serious health issue. The old adage that one should rest and conserve energy during chemo therapy is a bunch of hooey. I’ve recently came across an article about a study that looked at two groups of elderly (70+ years) persons. One group was actively in running clubs (some probably running marathons) and the other group was not. They found that the group in the running clubs were far healthier and had much fewer problems with joint pain and the alike. As long as running is done right, it only makes you better. However, there are no studies, no manuals, no books, no papers, very little about marathon training during chemo. This is uncharted territory.

I have run into a couple of websites about people who have trained for a marathon during chemo. But I haven’t seen any scientific study that shows marathon training is good or bad during chemotherapy. All I know is pretty much my own experience.

I didn’t tell my oncologist right away that I was training for a marathon. During each of our visits when he asked how I was doing, I always told him how far I ran that particular week and my long runs. So he heard I was running 30 to 40 miles a week and 12 to 16 miles for a long run. But I was afraid to tell him I was training for a marathon. If he said he didn’t want me to do it I probably would have stopped. I did tell my oncologist’s nurse practitioner, who happened to be a marathoner. She said, “That’s great, go for it!” or something like that. Then about a couple of months before the marathon and I think when they decided I didn’t need anymore chemo treatments, I was telling my oncologist that I ran something like 18 miles on Sunday and he looked at me with eyes of disapproval and asked, “are you training for a marathon?” I said yes and he was ok with it, but I think he didn’t like the fact that I withheld that information from him. I don’t blame him. But he couldn’t deny the fact that I was probably healthier than most normal people and the running had a lot to do with it.

During chemotherapy I did not feel any adverse affects from running. I did not get more injuries than I would normally get when pushing hard. I was mostly careful with my training. Because of anemia I had to slow my running way down, otherwise my heart rate would go too high. I was careful to keep my heart rate in a good range for long distance running. I did have a problem with a foot injury, but I don’t think that had anything to do with chemo. I just fell behind in my training and I tried too hard to catch up. After seeing a podiatrist and using some shoe inserts the injury went away and I was running Grandma’s marathon very healthy. I ran about 425 miles during chemo and finished Grandma’s in the top 42% of all runners, including the young bucks. Later last year I ran the TC marathon and finished as healthy as a horse. My doctors are amazed at how well I have handled (both emotionally and physically) chemotherapy and how quickly my tumors have disappeared. Marathon training during chemotherapy didn’t cause extra damage to my body, but just the opposite, it reversed the damaging effects of chemo.

At this time there is no scientific evidence that shows marathon training is good or bad during chemotherapy. Many doctors may frown on the idea. But I truly believe that if one does marathon training the way it should be done, by slowly increasing distance without pushing the body too hard, and listens to their body for signs of stress, that any endurance training like marathon training is one of the best things you can do during chemotherapy. Everyone is different and this does not apply well to everyone. But I don’t believe you have to be a super athlete to do this. I’m far from a super athlete; I’m just a Regular Joe who likes to run. It’s really more about attitude.

Click on the following link to read a wonderful true story of a group of ordinary men and women who train and run a marathon. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/team.html


NOVA takes 13 individuals who are non-runners, some with serious health issues, trains them for the Boston marathon. Only one of them doesn’t start or complete the race because of bone stress fractures which were a result of type-I diabetes. There are some very inspirational stories in this NOVA story.

If you are planning on marathon training during chemotherapy, don’t expect doctors to agree with you. You’ll probably be discouraged to do it. Then you’ll have to decide if you’ll go against your doctor’s wishes or not. I truly believe that I was doing the right thing. What do you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment