"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Still running after second chemo treatment

I received my second chemo treatment on Wednesday, which was an all day affair of blood tests and about 5 hours of intravenous injections. I had a rough night with stomach pain and some nausea, and the next day I was feeling pretty blah. I also received a shot of Neulasta on Thursday to help keep my white blood count up. I didn’t feel any side effects from that. By the Friday I was feeling pretty good and was able to run 5 miles. I wasn’t able to run a very long run or put in a lot of miles this week, but that is ok. Most marathon training programs have a 3 week cycle, 2 weeks of building miles and then a rest week involving reduced miles. That works well with my 3-week chemo cycle. Next week I look at increasing the miles again.

The big news this week - I am officially registered for Grandma’s this June. Even more good news - my big brother Cary has also registered. This will be his first marathon and I look forward to running the race with him.

I would like to thank everyone who has shown support. This is truly a team effort and every little bit of your support strengthens my spirit to go the distance. I must give a special thanks to my wife Renee, who has been by my side through the toughest times. Running is an important part of my overall wellbeing; but my wife’s love is an essential part of my existence.

Lee Strandjord

3 comments:

  1. Lee,

    My best wishes to you. I will pray for you.

    Bogdan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee, Hope each day that you will be feeling better and able to run more. It's great to hear that Cary has joined you. Prayers and best wished to both of you!

    Aunt Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee,
    Visited with your parents this past Sunday.
    They shared your story so now I will follow your
    venture. As as PE instructor and strong believer in
    fitness, I will share your progress with my students.
    We made it through confirmation and graduation
    together ,,, my support and prayers will be there now.
    Please do run, chemo man! Sandy

    ReplyDelete